What better way to explore NZ than by bike?
At that speed, you really get to appreciate nature and the views.
Central government, local governments, and organised groups of passionate people are putting together a network of cycle trails around New Zealand.
Imagine a day when they are all connected. All separated from vehicle traffic. Suitable for people of all ages to enjoy. Wow. That day is coming.
For now, you need to explore the sections that are finished!
There are 3 ways to do it:
- Self guided cycling
- Guided cycling tours
- Mountain biking trails
Guided Cycle Tours In New Zealand:
- From two hours to 5 five days, self guided to guided tours, easy rides to more challenging ones Jenny at Takaro Trails has the Hawkes Bay covered.
- Covering South Island. US$3000 packages and up. I suspect they specialise in US tourists 🙂
- List of most established trails with guided tours
- NZ wide. Specialise in 17 days guided tours. Eg Auckland to Christchurch
- NZ wide. 13 options from Easy to Moderate
- Extensive list of tours all over the country ranging from three to five days.
- Enjoy the glorious scenery by yourself knowing that your luggage is being taken care of.
- From road cycling to mountain biking or even “lifestyle cycling” Bike-NZ is a good place to start.
- Specialists in fully supported bicycle vacations. Choose a “standard tour” or work with Brian to create your own custom journey.
- Enjoy the beautiful South Island with Pure Trails New Zealand.
Self Guided Cycling In New Zealand:
- Looking for a self guided tour? NZ Cycle Tours is a great place to start!
- NZbyBike.com was launched in August of 2010 with one goal – to tell the world the New Zealand is a bloody great place to ride a bike
- Lists of cycle trails and other things to do in New Zealand, organised by the New Zealand Government.
- Simply input your location and riding ability and let NZ Cycle Trails do the searching for you!
- Still not sure if NZ is the cycling destination for you? Take a read of this!
- list of the Great Rides in the South.
- Not sure what to expect when cycling New Zealand? This post by Sarah Berry is a great read.
- The AA not only know cars they also know bikes, and your travel!
- This website looks like it is out of the dark ages, but its a very in-depth guide or narrative of his trip!
- Looking for a biking event? With 300 registered riders “The Tour Aotearoa” sounds like a good place to start!
- Looking for an enticing mix of quiet roads, spectacular scenery and old-fashioned hospitality these are some of the best rides in New Zealand!
Mountain Biking In New Zealand:
- List of over 250 Mountain bike tracks ranked!
- Home to New Zealand’s highest bike park!
- Scenic bike rides showcasing stunning Otago, through to advanced mountain biking including singletrack and enduro style rides.
- New Zealand government website featuring details on popular mountain biking tracks.
- Whether bike park, back country, enduro or xc floats your boat, JustMTB will show you New Zealand’s hidden treasures on the trip of a lifetime.
- Cycle tours, Heli Biking and Multi Day Tours, Wanaka Bike Tours does it all!
- Interested in riding the 130 kilometers of trail in Rotorua? Ride Rotorua has you covered!
- Fat-Tyre are Queenstown’s specialists in Heli-Biking, Back Country and Multi-Day Tours.
- Home to a great blog about Mountain biking in New Zealand.
Have you been on one of these trails before? Share your experiences in the comments below.